Got Extra Halloween Candy? Send It to the Troops!
The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is collecting "Treats for Troops" from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday the local substations. Or, you can ship your candy to Operation Gratitude.
The following information was provided by the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.
For parents looking for an alternative to their children consuming excessive amounts of candy at Halloween while engaging in a service project with their children, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office is accepting Halloween candy as part of its 3rd annual “Treats for Troops” effort to send thanks, encouragement, and sweets to our troops overseas.
Sheriff Bouchard also encourages parents and children wishing to participate to include notes (thank you, holiday, etc.) to the troops with the donation.
“Treats for Troops is a great way parents can participate in a community service project with their kids while showing our troops we support them back home,” Bouchard said. Halloween candy (individually wrapped, no chocolate please) may be dropped off at any of these Sheriff’s Office substations on Friday, Nov. 2 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.:
- Orion Twp. Substation, 2525 Joslyn Road, Lake Orion, 48360
- Oxford Twp. Substation, 2119 N. Lapeer Rd., Oxford, 48371
- Rochester Hills Substation, 750 Barclay Circle, Rochester Hills, 48307
- Brandon Twp. Substation, 15 South St., Ortonville, 48462
- Commerce Twp. Substation, 2401 Glengary, Commerce Twp., 48390
- Highland Twp. Substation, 165 N. John St., Highland Twp., 48356
- Independence Twp. Substation, 6560 Citation Drive, Independence Twp., 48346
- Pontiac Substation, 110 East Pike St., Pontiac, 48342
- Headquarters, 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Building 38E, Pontiac, 48341
There will be a drop box in the lobby of each participating substation. Operation Care Package Michigan will assist with the shipping portion of the project.
If you miss Friday's candy drive, don't worry – you can still ship your excess candy to Operation Gratitude, which will also send the candy to troops overseas. Please ship or deliver your donations no later than Dec. 1, 2012 to:
Operation Gratitude/California Army National Guard
Attn: Rich Hernandez
17330 Victory Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91406
For more information about Operation Gratitude, visit operationgratitude.com or call 262-674-7281 (262-OPGRAT-1).