School Board Meeting Tonight; Superintendent Clarke Scheduled To Be Elsewhere
Board members will consider the 2012-13 school calendar and the hiring of new teachers.
The elected board that legislates Rochester Community Schools will meet at 7 tonight to discuss school business — including the long-awaited approval of the 2012-13 school calendar.
But the school district's leader, Superintendent Fred Clarke, is scheduled to be interviewing at that same time for a new job across the state.
Clarke indicated last week that he is looking for a new job.
"My experience in Rochester has convinced me that my true passion lies in working to close the achievement gap in districts that are challenged in ways that Rochester is not," Clarke said in an email to Rochester parents.
According to a posting on the Grant Public Schools website, Clarke is one of three candidates being interviewed for that district's superintendent vacancy tonight.
Clarke has not resigned. His future employment with the district is not part of the board's official agenda tonight.
Instead, board members are scheduled to approve:
- The 2012-13 school year calendar.
- The hiring of 10 new teachers (a complete list of all of the new teacher hires this summer can be found here.)
- The appointment of David Harwell to the position of Director of Curriculum, 8th-Adult Education.
- The appointment of Catherine Kochanski to the position of Baldwin Elementary School principal.
- The appointment of Kelly Dessy to the position of Hugger Elementary School principal.
The meeting will be held in the Harrison Room of the School Administration Building. The public is welcome.