Support Service Staff Honored for Dedication, Exceptional Work
Ten Lake Orion Community Schools staff members were recognized as Betty Campion award nominees.
Though teachers work as the face of the Lake Orion school district, support service staff members are intricate in helping the various schools operate smoothly on a day to day basis.
Custodians, secretaries and learning support staff members made up the list of employees that were nominated for the 2012 Betty Campion Distinguished Support Service Award this year.
The Betty Campion Award is an annual award that is given to exceptionally dedicated and skilled support service staff members. Criteria includes such things as they go above and beyond, have at least five years of experience and play an active role in the community. Staff members throughout Oakland Schools can nominate deserving colleagues annually for the honor.
All of the nominees within the Lake Orion school district were honored at last week's Board of Education meeting. Principals from each school stood at the podium to describe the value of each of the nominated employees.
Betty Campion candidates this year included:
- Tricia Arnold, secretary at Scripps Middle School
- Pam King, transportation department dispatcher
- Lisa Barry, counseling secretary at Oakview Middle School
- Nina Marks, custodian at Paint Creek Elementary School
- Kellie Hein, learning support staff at Blanche Sims Elementary School
- Susan Hughes, learning support staff at Pine Tree Elementary School
- Gail Sornson, custodian at Webber Elementary School
- Patricia Tarkington, secretary at Waldon Middle School
- Brenda Skrzypczak, campus aide at Lake Orion High School
- And district winner and Oakland County co-winner, Kathy Fredericks, secretary at Stadium Drive Elementary School.
For more on teacher recognitions see: Kathy Fredericks: Nurturing, Kind, Efficient — And Deserving of County School Award and Lake Orion Teachers Awarded Tenure; Retiring Staff Honored.