Orion, Oakland Townships Residents File to Run for Public Office on Aug. 7 Ballot
Candidates to face off in primaries for board of trustees, state representative, county commissioner and parks & rec.
Tuesday at 4 p.m. was the deadline for residents to file to run for office and get on the ballot for the Aug. 7 primary elections in Orion and Oakland townships.
The following names will be on the Aug. 7 ballot, according to Oakland County's final unofficial candidate list.
Oakland Township candidates
Board of Trustees
- Supervisor: Terry Gonser is running against current Supervisor Joan Fogler.
- Clerk: Planning Commission Vice-Chairman James Foulkrod and resident Karen Reilly have filed in attempt to unseat current Clerk Judy Workings, who is also running on the 2012 ballot.
- Treasurer: Current Trustee Marc Edwards and resident Jeanne Langlois are running for township treasurer, the position that Sharon Creps holds.
- Trustees: Current Trustees Kathrine Thomas, Sharon McKay and Michael Bailey are running for re-election. Residents Judy Keyes, Robin Buxar and Maureen Thalmann will also be on the Aug. 7 ballot.
Parks and Recreation Commission
- Six of the seven current members of the Parks and Recreation Commission are running for re-election. Current members running again: Secretary Colleen Barkham, Chairman David Mackley, Vice Chairperson Alice Tomboulian, Treasurer Joseph Peruzzi and members Dirk Mammen and Maryann Whitman. Lana Mangiapane withdrew her name from the candidate list Wednesday, according to Oakland County's unofficial candidate list.
- Ann Marie Rogers, Roger Schmidt, Andy Zale, Anthony Scaccia and Bryan Cecilio are also running to be appointed on the commission.
Orion Township candidates
Board of Trustees
- Supervisor: Chris Barnett is running against current Supervisor JoAnn Van Tassel.
- Clerk: Current Clerk Penny Shults is the only candidate on the unofficial list vying for Orion Township Clerk.
- Treasurer: Current Treasurer Alice Young filed for re-election. Resident Mark Thurber is also on the ballot.
- Trustees: Current Trustees John Steimel, Michael Flood and Neal Porter are seeking seats once again and Safety Path Advisory Commissioner Donni Steele will be on the ballot.
Local candidates running for public office
46th District State Representative
- David Jay Lillis (D-Lake Orion) is running against Bradford Jacobsen (R-Oxford) and Daniel Sargent (D-Oxford).
1st District County Commissioner
- Michael Gingell (R-Lake Orion) will be on the ballot against Jeff Vaught (D-Orion) and Richard Yamin (R-Auburn Hills).
More election coverage
- 5 Orion Township Candidates Focus on Bringing Businesses to Area
- Chris Barnett Announces Candidacy for Orion Township Supervisor Position
- Jeanne Langlois Announces She’s Running for Oakland Township Treasurer
- Terry Gonser Announces Candidacy for Oakland Township Supervisor Position
Stay tuned to Patch for election coverage. We will be interviewing the candidates leading up to the August elections.