Want To Drive a Snowplow? Oakland County is Hiring Drivers
The Road Commission is seeking to fill 30 part-time, temporary positions this winter.
The Road Commission for Oakland County is seeking to hire 30 part-time snowplow drivers to augment its reduced full-time staff for the winter this year, according to a news release.
“We have reduced our staff more than 27 percent in the last five years, and many of the workers we have lost served as snowplow drivers in the winter,” explained Managing Director Dennis Kolar in a statement.
“The reality is we cannot afford to replace the full-time employees we have lost, but we also cannot provide the level of service our customers deserve with just the remaining full-time staff."
Hiring the temporary, part-time employees was a compromise that Kolar said he hopes will allow the agency to maintain a reasonable level of snow response service for the winter. “This will not allow us to return to the level of service we were able to provide five years ago,” Kolar said, “but we hope it will enable us to provide a higher level of service than we otherwise would have.”
The road commission has fewer full-time employees than at any time since at least 1962.
Interested? Here's what you need to know:
- To be considered for one of the part-time positions, anyone interested must have a current and valid Michigan Commercial Driver’s License with an “A” endorsement.
- The part-time employees will be on call throughout the winter and may work at least two days per week, including nights and weekends as needed.
- Paid training and introductory orientation will be provided.
- The position pays $17 per hour and duties include snow-storm road plowing and salting and other road-maintenance functions.
- Those selected for hire will be required to pass a pre-employment driving-skill assessment and a post-offer physical exam and drug screening. Driving histories will be reviewed.
Anyone interested can apply online for one of the positions at the road commission’s web site, www.rcocweb.org (click on “Job Postings” on row of tabs at the top of the homepage then click “Application Form,” fill out the form and click “submit”).