Week in Review: Simply Marcella Opens, Teacher Layoffs and More
Here's what happened in and around Oakland Township and Lake Orion last week.
A lot happened last week and we want to make sure you didn't miss a thing, so here are some of the highlights:
- Board of Education Approves Teacher Layoffs and More: The Lake Orion Board of Education agreed to lay off seven full-time teachers.
- Lake Orion Welcomes Simply Marcella to Downtown: Residents got their first peek at the new boutique at Tuesday's ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- Green's Park Will Staff Lifeguards Again This Summer: Lake Orion Village Council decided to continue staffing lifeguards and offering park passes at the same rate this summer by a 4-2 vote.
- Lake Orion OKs 'Super Drunk' Ordinance: Lake Orion Village Council unanimously approved the Lake Orion Police Department to issue s "super drunk" ticket to motorists operating at or above .17 - more than twice the legal limit.
- Town Meeting Exposes K2, Alcohol and Other Drugs: Area leaders examined the topic of substance abuse at the Orion Township Public Library last week.
- Highlights from Oakland County Sheriff's Office - Oakland Township Substation reports: Police Blotter: Dozens of Car Tires Punctured.
- Also, Man Approaches Young Boys, Tries to Lure Them into Car.
- Highlights from Lake Orion Police Department last week: Community Member Helps Kids Retrieve Bike From Thief.
- Library Picks: 'The Sisters Brothers': Librarian Alice Cruz suggests a modern take on a classic Western, The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt.
- Teens get 'Footloose' at School Board Meeting: Lake Orion High School theater students performed two numbers from Footloose for the Lake Orion Board of Education on Wednesday.
- Vote Now: Help Lake Orion Student Win $10K Scholarship Contest: Voting for the #mi2020 college scholarship competition kicks off.