Invite a friend
Green Living Festival 2012
"Good, Green Fun" is in order when the seventh annual Green Living Festival kicks off the first weekend of summer, June 22-24 in downtown Rochester.
The event is one of the largest green/wellness events on the planet, bringing together tens of thousands of people to discover and enjoy earth-friendly and healthy living products, services and programs. Featuring more than 200 exhibits and dozens of presentations along with a food court, parade, Party for the Planet and more, the event celebrates the successes of local individuals, businesses, nonprofits and government programs in growing a brighter, greener future.
"More and more people are taking steps to live greener, healthier lives," says John Batdorf, general manager of presenting organization MI Green Team. "This event celebrates local efforts, large and small, and brings people together for inspiration, entertainment and all-around good, green fun."
- Exhibits: Green/wellness products, services and programs are arranged into 10 groups, including "Wellness Way," "Green Living," "Green Home" and more, featuring everything from how to set up a rain barrel to capsule wardrobing, solar power and an art fair.
- Displays: A peek at hybrid and electric vehicles, renewable energy systems and other innovative technologies.
- Wellness Programs: Presentations by national wellness leaders Dr. Michael Greger, preventive nutrition physician best known as Oprah Winfrey's food safety expert; Dr. Kerrie Saunders, diet and disease prevention expert and best-selling author; Dr. Joel Kahn, director of preventive cardiology and wellness programs at Detroit Medical Center Hospitals, and others.
- Presentations: In addition to wellness programs, the Green Living Festival will feature a variety of presentations on green living including local food systems, detoxing your life, biodynamics, the Clean Air Act, yoga, super foods and more.
- Food & Farm Areas: Featuring local Farmers Row and organic Food Court.
- Kids' Corner: Offering exhibits, crafts, climb tower,strawbale maze and a full schedule of kids' activities.
- Connections Cafe: Non-commercial displays and roundtable discussions by area nonprofits to promote networking and community-building.
- Interactive Web and Smartphone Maps: Help locate exhibits and information online (see www.map-dynamics.com/glf)
- Party for the Planet: Weekend-long party continues beyond festival hours and features local craft beer, sustainable food, and music by more than a dozen bands, including Kyle Vincent, well-known singer/songwriter, environmental activist and former lead singer of the Bay City Rollers (Fri. at 7 p.m.) plus Rochester Mills 'GreenHorn' favorites and a variety of up-and-coming local bands.
- Green Living Parade & Pep Rally: Takes place Sat. at 11 a.m., around the festival and down the Paint Creek Trail. Marchers and performers welcome; prizes will be awarded and advance registration is encouraged.
In advance of the weekend-long Green Living Festival, a Charity Preview & Awards Ceremony on Weds., June 20, 7-9 p.m. features dignitaries, community leaders, sponsors, media and others for a lively event preview, the second annual MI Green Hall of Fame awards ceremony and winners of the "My Green School Art Contest." A portion of ticket sales benefits the US Green Building Council Detroit Regional Chapter - Green Schools Committee's Green School in a Lunchbox! program.