On Saturday, American Express is urging people to on one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.
"We’re asking millions of Americans to 'shop small' at their favorite local stores and help fuel the economy," American Express explains online. "When we all shop small, it will be huge."
Here are five Oakland Township businesses you can support on Small Business Saturday:
- : The family-owned-and-operated garden center sells seasonal plants and home décor, including Christmas trees and decorations. Sherwood Forest is open Saturday from 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- : Located in the heart of Goodison, this small convenience store is run by three generations of the Acree family. It's a great place to stop and pick up a gallon of milk, a snack or a bottle of wine to go with dinner. The store is open 8 a.m.-10 p.m. on Saturday.
- : Just a few doors down from the Paint Creek Market, the Goodison Cider Mill sells fresh cider and doughnuts, baked goods and other products from local merchants. It is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday through Sunday until Christmas.
- : Owned and operated by the Barkham family, the Rochester Cider Mill sells fresh cider made on-site, including specialty ciders like grape, cranberry, pear and a secret holiday blend. The cider mill is open 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, according to its Facebook page.
- : This diner a few months ago and is run by the husband-and-wife team Tonya and John Vuktilaj. It is open 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily.
To find businesses participating in Small Business Saturday, visit the group's Facebook page.